History

 

1901, the Power Plant was located adjacent to the Mechanical Arts Building.  In 1912, just twelve years after initial construction, the Power Plant was condemned due to structural problems caused by the continuous vibrations of the mechanical equipment.

In 1912, a second Power Plant was constructed to replace the condemned structure. For a short time, the University had two power plants. The square smoke stack is the original power plant and the round stack is the new power plant.

In 1917, the Power Plant switched from coal to fuel oil.

In 1948 the Power Plant we still use today was constructed and state-of-the-art WWII surplus natural gas boilers replaced the existing oil boilers.

In 1951, the 1912 Power Plant was demolished making room for the Classroom Building.

From 1948 until 2012, Utilities and Energy Management operated three steam turbines with the capability to generate 8 mega-watts (MW) of electricity at the OSU Power Plant. We are still able to operate a 5 MW turbine and two 1.5 MW steam extraction turbines, in case of inclement weather or an emergency. These extraction turbines take high pressure steam at 250 psi and 600°F from our boilers and produce electricity, along with 50 psi of residual steam used for heating.